It can be hard to be around negative people and you can’t always avoid them, right? Sometimes they are family members or coworkers, so what are we to do in these situations?
1. Use other people’s negative behavior as a reminder of how NOT to be. I call this inverse modeling. Just like how you try to imitate the beliefs, actions and communication of a person you admire in order to live a better life, do the exact opposite with these negative people.
2. Know and embrace that everything is an opportunity in some way. You must see this in your mind as a challenge. This is an opportunity to stay steadfast in your values, beliefs and goals. Just as steel is hardened in the fire, if you can remain true to yourself while others around you are full of doubt and even condemnation, you’ll grow so much stronger and will achieve so much more.
3. Know that their negativity truly has nothing to do with you, even if comments are directed at you personally. Know that negative comments from other people are just projections of their own fears, insecurities, regrets, or limiting beliefs. And if someone is talking about you behind your back, it’s because you’re ahead of them.
4. Stand up to them if you have to. Do it in a non-affected and matter of fact way though. If their negativity can rub off on you, your positivity can rub off on them! Create an environment socially so that they don’t look good in front of others when they are negative and they will be discouraged from acting negatively in the future. Positivity is like a muscle which gets stronger the more you exercise it.
5. Reframe their actions into anything you want. It will serve you better and reframing will also enhance your creativity and present moment awareness. I have fun with this. I look at negative people as a game almost and as an opportunity to think on my toes. A negative person will find the negative in any positive situation whereas a positive person will find the positive in any negative situation.
6. Minimize and/or remove. If you really don’t want to be around a certain negative person, and you have the ability to make a choice on the matter, you can simply remove them from your life or minimize your exposure to them. Sometimes you are just better off without certain people in your life.
I hope you found these techniques helpful. Comment below and let us know how you have successfully dealt with negative people.